Employee onboarding is the process by which new employees
acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and behaviors to become effective, engaged
members of their teams, departments and the organization. The goals of onboarding
are to socialize new hires within the organization, shorten new hire time to
productivity and encourage long-term retention.
Typically comprised of multiple stages, onboarding should be strategic, comprehensive, consistent and measured. A few onboarding best practices include continuous training, structured orientation, established job expectations and assignment of a mentor. The onboarding process varies in length and can be tailored to the needs of the organization and job.
- Shorten the learning curve and increase productivity
- Facilitate compliance with organizational procedures and goals
- Promote communication up and down the corporate ladder.
- Improve job satisfaction and retention.
- Boost performance
- Promote commitment to organizational goals
- Reduce management and staff stress
- Build trust
- Attract top talent